all images and stories are the property of Catherine Beerda-Basso and are not to be used without given permission...thank you

Thursday 12 April 2012

Colombia...heart stories

"When you see someone living something awful, a rocket of desire for their resolution shoots out of you. And then, if you start focusing upon their resolution, you'll start feeling better right away. And now, you're part of the current that is part of the solution."
--- Abraham 



Excerpted from the workshop in Asheville, NC on Sunday, October 24th, 2004 # 384
Our Love,
Jerry and Esther
*


So many stories to share
figuring out which ones has been a challenge
as some will remain for me
some will be past on verbally
some with not come forth
until they are called for...

equally 
I am having a challenge with the photos

1500 images

a little overwhelming

I have so appreciated your response to my stories
thus far
your compassion and love for Gladys and Steve
was so beautiful and touching
a real reflection of what kind of women come here
to my little space
and I am honoured to have you

thank you
*


The story that I share now really started...as most of them do....with my last visit 31/2 years ago.
One of the days we were working up at the center as little 5 foot nothing woman came with a group of college students to see the work we were doing on the hill.
Her name was Marta.
After looking around we all gathered, and Marta shared with us her story. A story that can be found here.
Marta's story is nothing less then amazing, but what really stuck with me was Marta herself. Her passion, her conviction, her commitment was the thing that cut into me the most. She moved me.

As it was, one of the nights we were there this trip, we were out for dinner at one of the Pastors homes from the sponsoring church in Medellin...Pastor Jorge. We had spent the evening at his home for a lovely pasta dinner, made in our honour and a game of soccer at the park down the street. It was a nice evening out.

When we returned a man was waiting for us at the house. i soon found out her was one of Marta's helpers/pastors. Marta runs inner city programs for women to get the out of prostitution. She offers them a home, for them and their children along with the opportunity to go to school and get a trade, so they can get off the streets. This is one of the programs she heads.

One of the women in our group, Karen, had been to this particular Pastors outreach center. She said it was amongst the poorest of the poor. Nothing but a shanty shack itself, in an area even worse then our own center's. He had come to chat with us, share what was happening in their center and connect with us.

There was 3 or 4 of us standing around him as he spoke, his words being translated....He told us about how his wife could not come as she was out in the bars working. She went around during the night, to offer any woman willing to come, a new life. 
Now I want you to imagine the worse of the worse back alley bar situation you know...and then think about yourself walking into that environment, trying to connect and lay love of the broken women of this world.
Can you imagine?
I can't.
I am not sure I could do such a thing.
The courage to do that, the willingness to love the commitment to do....breath taking.
And again, it was not only his story that touched me, it was him. The open heartedness, the honesty, the complete commitment to the broken hearted that he showed touched a deep place inside myself. He was so beautiful...

this is what I wrote in my journal:

"I found the whole experience with this man very overwhelming. I am not sure what came over me  but something deep inside came forth from within me. I think it was awoken when I hugged him. Tears began to stream down my face. I could not control them.
As we came together and prayed, our small group, I could not help but feel the rawness fo the situation...hearts all around me so open...this man pouring himself and his life out for us to see....I went to the bathroom to try to compose myself, but his truth remained within me. When we said goodbye, I passed him some money for his center. I will never forget the look in his eyes...never. The deep gratitude, the full appreciation, the love, the moment beyond words that we shared...it took my breathe away. When we embrace I felt our heart meld together, I saw our love and light intertwine...
Back in the van I tried to keep myself composed...and did not do a very good job of it I must add, I was glad for the darkness that had fallen. Sofia asked if I was alright..."no I am not" was all I could say, I was completely unable to talk at that moment....

That moment, that exchange still brings me to tears. The world needs more men like that man, openhearted, ego checked, committed to healing broken places...I don't even remember his name, but I will never forget his story or the exchange of energy we shared...

Love and Light



5 comments:

  1. So grateful for your experiences friend. What a mixture of beauty and heartache. Keep sharing to validate, heal feel and love the light:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1500 images wow
    I love reading your words

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moments like this allow us to continue to breathe and feel....thanku for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If only every person carried that same heart for those lost and broken. Wow. What amazing people and what an amazing privilege for you to meet with them and hear from them face to face. You cannot help but carry away some of that heart - just from reading the words on this page.

    ReplyDelete

Your voice is welcome here, your connection appreciated. Love and Light